RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE POSSUM
Taking part in the POSSUM includes taking on risks. With preparation and care these risks can be minimised so that you have a fun and safe event experience.
HAZARD: Trips and falls on rough terrain causing injury.
MANAGEMENT: Take care with where you place your feet and the pace at which you run. If it is technical, slow down to pick your path.
HAZARD: Hypothermia from the cold.
COMMENT: Symptoms include shivering, cold fingers and toes and skin colour change.
MANAGEMENT: You need to take enough gear to star warm while running or walking and enough gear to keep you warm if you stop and cannot continue. Take all of the compulsory gear and put it on BEFORE you are cold or wet or both!!!
HAZARD: Traffic collision.
MANAGEMENT: Treat all roads as public road. Take care, run on the shoulder, heads up and watch out for traffic.
HAZARD: Burns from Geothermal activity
MANAGEMENT: Stay on the marked course at all times. Avoid any geothermal activity. Parents to monitor children.
Other hazards include:
- Bridges/ steps/ barriers / board walks
- Chemical sprays, poison baits, predator traps
- Cliffs/ banks
- Getting lost
- Heat stroke / Hyperthermia
- Hikers / cyclists / mountain bike shuttle buses
- Low light conditions
- Medical problems
- Poor fitness
- Renal shutdown
- Steep slopes
- Vegetation spikes, prickles, sharp leaf edges
- Vehicles/ public roads / competitors/ spectators hit by traffic
We could have a fire, earthquake or similar emergency.
Follow all instructions from staff who may hold you at locations or lead you to safety.
What to do if you are injured / ill or just cannot continue to run/walk:
- Stay calm.
- Contact one of the two phone numbers on your race bib. Or;
- Stop the next runner going past you and ask for help.
- Apply first aid to yourself.
- Put on all of your clothing.
- If you are in an exposed position, but can still walk, try to get out of the wind. Often you will only have to move 5-10 metres to be in a more sheltered spot, but make sure you are not so far off the track that staff cannot find you.
- Wait for assistance.
We have event Medics who will get to you as soon as they can.
Once the medic has assessed you, you will either be assisted out by the medics to a road end or a rescue helicopter MAY be able to extract you.
What to do if you are lost.
- Think, can you retrace your steps to the last known track marker? If yes then do so.
- If you cannot retrace your steps then stay put.
- Follow steps 1-7 above (excluding steps 3-4)
THE POSSUM 2018 PARTICIPATION RULES
- I have read and understand the information regarding this event and understand that I participate in this event at my own risk.
- I acknowledge and accept that trail running carries an inherent risk of injury, illness and in extreme cases, death.
- I will be drug and alcohol free for this event.
- I acknowledge that although the event has medical personnel and resources at various points along the course, the inaccessibility of much of the trail will make it difficult or impossible for medical assistance to reach me immediately and extractions may take a period of time.
- I agree to allow event medical staff to treat me as they see fit.
- I hereby attest and verify that I am physically fit and have sufficiently trained for this event.
- I understand that competing in this event may involve running and walking on wilderness trails with rocks, roots, stream crossings, and up and down steep terrain. The hazards may include but are not limited to; challenging terrain, rocks, roots, streams, geothermal activity, motor vehicle traffic, slippery surfaces, loose rocks, soft sand, weather conditions, heat exhaustion, hypothermia, actions of spectators, other competitors, general public and the event organisers personnel.
- I agree to comply with the rules and directions of event officials and their personnel.
- I will stay on the marked course at all times, unless instructed by event staff.
- I will obey all course marking.
- If race management indicate that compulsory gear is needed in this year’s edition of the race, I will wear or take the compulsory safety equipment required by the event.
- My support crew and I will obey the instructions given by event staff.
- I accept that I may be pulled from the course at any time with the discretion of event staff primarily for, but not limited to, safety reasons.
- I will complete the entire course under my own power.
- I will not light any fires.
- I will be respectful of other trail users such as recreational walkers and mountain bikers.
- I will not litter.
- Smoking is not permitted at any of the checkpoints or along the trail by participants, staff, spectators or supporters.
- If I wish to withdraw from the event, I will either inform the nearest event staff, or text the Race Communications Manager (see rear of race number for phone numbers).
- Participants who leave the course/event without informing staff of their race number will be classified as “missing”. The participant will be contacted on their mobile phone and their emergency contact will be called. If there is no response from either party or the emergency contact does not know the status of the runner, a search will be activated. Any search related costs will be charged to the participant.
- If I need assistance, I will ask a staff member or call the Race Communications Manager (see rear of race number for phone numbers). If none of these options work and I have cell phone coverage and it is a true emergency, I will call NZ emergency services by dialling 111.
- Anti-Doping Policy and Statement: Race management reserves the right to drug test any participant competing in this event – from the time of registration to after the completion of the event. Agreement to submit to drug testing is a condition of entry.
- I understand that the event transfer and refund policies are, as stated on the website at the time I entered, and are not negotiable.
- I hereby allow the use of my name and image to be used in the media and for marketing purposes.
- I hereby allowing aerial filming of myself, including use of drones, as part of this event.
- I hereby agree that in the case of event cancellation due to extreme inclement weather (at the discretion of event officials), my entry fee shall be non-refundable.
- I accept that The Possum event may be run on an alternative course if the planned courses are not able to be use on race day.
- I hereby acknowledge this waiver, release and indemnity discharge all persons, corporations, associations and bodies involved or otherwise engaged in promoting or staging the event and their servants, agents, representatives, officers and employees. This includes but is not limited to the various committees, members, and employees of all independent contracted suppliers to the event, local councils, cities and districts and their respective officers, directors, employees, independent contractors, representatives, agents, volunteers, event organisers and sponsors whether or not the loss, injury or damage is attributed to the act or neglect of any or more of them.
- I also understand that my contact details will be added to the Element Events NZ database, and that I will receive emails directly from Element Events NZ. I understand that Element Events will not distribute this database for any reason and that I can unsubscribe from this database at any time.